Personal Finance Challenge is a nationwide quiz-bowl competition
- Involves students of all skill and knowledge levels
- Nationwide competition
- Makes learning personal finance education fun
- Provides individual learning within a team setting
|Complimentary online program
Register for contests and lessons at www.econworks.org
- March 18–27, 2013: Spring Online Competition – Top 5 teams are invited to the regional competitions online
- April 20, 2013: Regional Competitions
- May 2, 2013: National Competition in St. Louis, Missouri
Please note: There is no cost to teachers or students to participate in the online challenge. For finalist teams, funding is available from Wells Fargo Advisors to cover each team’s accommodations in Saint Louis (for one night), as well as certain travel costs.
- Register at: www.financechallenge.org.
- Click on “California” on the map and register as a teacher.
- Create teams of three to four students for middle or high school.
- Download unique access codes for each student so they can log in when they are ready to take the Challenge.
- When competition begins, students log into the Finance Challenge ONLINE website and complete 30-question, rapid-fire exam. Categories consist of: Income and Money Management, Spending and Credit, and Saving and Investing. Each student is given 30 minutes, but all team members must complete the exam within 3 hours.
- Each student completes the challenge as an individual; students do not work as a group.
- Students may not utilize any outside materials or testing aids during their challenge session.
- The advisor is not to help the students by guiding them or re-phrasing a question.
- The sum of the three individual scores on each team make up the team score. Scoring on individual tests are as follows:
- +10 points for each correct answer
- -5 points for each incorrect answer
- 0 points for each unanswered question
- Winners will be notified once the ONLINE Challenge window has closed.
- Participating teachers will receive team ranking notification via email for each team completing the exam.
- First place per team: $1,000
- Second place per team: $500
- Additional prizes: Kindles and iPads
Prepare your students with these resources: